Thursday, August 5, 2010

Shore-to-Shore Trail

Oscoda, MI. The shores of Lake Huron.
    The Shore-to-Shore trail is a Michigan multi-use trail. It is mostly maintained by the Michigan Trail Riders Association and travels more than 220 miles East-West. Starting in Empire, on the west (Lake Michigan) and cutting through Grayling on its way to the Huron National Forest. There it travels the length of the Ausable River, one of Michigan's largest and most pristine rivers ending in the beautiful, little known town, of Oscoda. The MTRA maps are rather lacking in accuracy and quality, but they're the only production maps of the trail unfortunately. I believe they cost me $10 by mail order from the MTRA.
   Having been ditched by my girlfriend at the time, I was looking for other plans to occupy my spring break of Freshman year. I nagged a buddy into going with me over 50 miles of the S2S trail (that's all we had time for). It took us 3.5 days to do the trip, which was significantly shorter than we had anticipated, but that's a long story. Fortunately it's a story I plan to tell as I will be blogging a post for each sequential day in our journey complete with pictures to fill in the blanks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think: