Sunday, February 6, 2011

Best Adventure Game of All Time

I know this is abstract, but bear with me here. Of all the adventure games ever made, few have ever been so far ahead of their time. If you were breathing during the late 90's, I hope you were playing The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. And if you were, chances are it's among your top ten best adventure games ever. It is, and always will be, my number one.

As a kid, nothing inspired me more than role-playing an adventure seeking, kingdom saving, princess winning elf. In fact I think I can attribute a lot of my childhood obsession with bladed weapons, blacksmithing, magic, and the general fantasy nerdiness to this game. This is a good thing, however, as it has evolved to a life-long passion for the outdoors, adventures, and being a badass in general. I still have an obsession with making and using bladed weapons, although my chances to save a kingdom (and a princess) are limited these days.

Nothing was more fun to me in my youth then wandering the wilderness with my friends while carrying fake Master Swords, Biggoron Swords, and the Hyrulian Shield. I even bought myself an Ocarina at a renaissance fair, entirely due to my love of Link and his badass little blue potato ocarina. Really, when I start thinking back, I feel like I need to give more credit to this game for shaping my life. It has been a good role-model to me. I also need to go find more Great Fairy Fountains... and collect some chickens...

This all said, today I had an urge to YouTube some Ocarina of Time ocarina songs. People on YouTube have done a fantastic job of posting original and remixed versions of these songs, some amazing, some... not so amazing. It's truly unique how many young talented musicians have done covers of these tunes on various instruments. Today I YouTubed the Song of Storms, from the crazy music man who hangs out in the windmill, incessantly cranking out the tune on his music box in Kakariko Village. Oh, Kakariko Village... *sigh*

Here's a set of lyrics that someone posted to follow the tune of The Song of Storms and I think that, regardless of whether or not you're a Zelda fan, you'll love these lyrics. They're prefect adventure lyrics, to be sung at any time on an adventure while, perhaps, trekking across the lands or riding the prow of a ship, dazzling droplets of water splashing up in your face.


In the night
Blew a storm
Taking shadows to the shore
Lightning filled the sky
Thunder roared and cried
Close your eyes
Come along
Dance until the night is gone
Singing a song of storms

Credit: YouTube user: lostthegame1

And here's the video for the original music to the Song of Storms, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think: