If you are a supporter of expensive brands, or have ludicrous amounts of money to spend on gear, then you'll probably argue that the Mountain Hardwear jacket is worth it. There must be some huge hidden factor (like warmth-Gnomes hidden in the stitching) that I am missing to make these prices worth it. Just take a look at this page of North Face Fleeces on google's shop North Face Fleece. Now compare it to Nike's ACG brands ACG Fleece. ACG's answer to Mountain Hardwear's Monkey Man (Woman) fleece goes for only $75 whereas MH's price is $150. What are you paying for; brand or function?
Expensive Brands Alternatives
Mountain Hardwear Outdoor Research
North Face Nike's ACG Line
Arc'Teryx Anything is cheaper than Arc'Teryx
Therm-a-Rest Pacific Outdoor Equipment
Tips for Saving:
- Buy on sale or clearance
- Join a local outdoor club and get discounts!
- Rent gear you won't use often
- Buy gear during the off-season, it's a lot cheaper (supply vs demand)
- Join outfitter's rewards programs
- Look for coupon codes for online stores
- Join mailing lists, companies often send out exclusive discounts